Sustiva

Dr. Wohl, I've written to you before regarding my current cocktail - Trizivir and Viramune and that it has never taken me to undetectible - so far, the VL hovers between 200-400. Before intensifying this cocktail or putting me on a new one, my dr. just suggested that we try substituting Sustiva for Viramune and see if that makes a difference. Do you think this is a waste of time? Thank you again for your help.

I think it is pretty unlikely that switching from Viramune (nevirapine) to Sustiva (efavirenz) will drive your viral load down to undetectable.

A recent study compared these two drugs head to head. Both are members of the same antiretroviral drug class called non-nucleosides reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs). The 2NN Study found that there was a trend suggesting Sustiva was a bit more potent, especially at higher viral loads but this was not a dramatic difference.

advice please
First Regimen - Unusual?