Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Better drug
Jul 28, 2003

Good day.. I am Resistance to all the drug, Will T-20 or Atazanavir, Emtricitabine (coviracil FTC )or Tipranavir or TMC-125 or TNX-355.... What are the best drug for me right now.... T 4 cell 68, Viral load 125,000 Thank you have a great day

Response from Dr. Pierone

I am going to make a few assumptions for the sake of this discussion. If you have virus that is resistant to all currently approved antiretrovirals then the best options will likely be either the second generation agents from the existing classes, or one of the completely new class of drugs.

FTC and atazanavir are unlikely to have much impact against really resistant virus based on what we know about resistance patterns (although data are limited for boosted atazanavir).

The second generation agents we can define as having activity against virus that is typically resistant to existing agents in the class. Examples would be tipranavir (protease inhibitor), TMC-114 (protease inhibitor) and TMC-125 (NNRTI). Tipranavir is well into phase 3 and should enter expanded access fairly soon. TMC-114 should be entering phase 2 studies soon. TMC-125 should be entering phase 2 soon as well (we all hope).

Since T-20 is the first member of fusion inhibitors, this should work for anyone with virus resistant to all available agents. It would be helpful to combine it with at least on other active agent(s) like tipranavir or TMC-114. Very preliminary (and very impressive) data was presented on TNX-355 at the Retrovirus conference in February, still very early.

I think that it is fair to say that in your situation, with resistant virus, relatively high viral load and low CD4 count you would probably be best served looking into a clinical trial of one of the newer agents. Best of luck to you.

Previous
Cure?
Next
Combivir and Reyataz Combo

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.