realistic life expectancies: 2002 vs. 1996

Dr. Young,

First off, thank you very your optimistic and candid answers that you always incessantly attribute to this website. I believe you deserve a raise for your merits. I realize and note that you have stated many times that you don't have a crystal ball when it comes to life expectancies of newly hiv infected cases. I was wondering it you affirm by your latest response, if you believe that one who receives treatment might realistically attain decades of life expectancy say 30-40 years living with successfully managing the virus. Is this possible and do you feel that the outlook is more optimistic for one infected in 2002 vs. 1996. Thanks.

yes, I would agree with your characterization of life expectancy--

The key improvement between 1996 and 2003 is really that the likelihood of having long-term success (with fewer side effects and easier to take regimens) has increased; one simply needs to look at the results of clinical trials from the first period and compare to the most recent-- the performance of our medications (probably enhanced by an increased appreciation for the role of adherence) has improved with time.

Thanks for your comments too-- I'll pass them on to the bosses here at TheBody. BY

CD4's:wild ride