Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

realistic life expectancies: 2002 vs. 1996
Jul 23, 2003

Dr. Young,

First off, thank you very your optimistic and candid answers that you always incessantly attribute to this website. I believe you deserve a raise for your merits. I realize and note that you have stated many times that you don't have a crystal ball when it comes to life expectancies of newly hiv infected cases. I was wondering it you affirm by your latest response, if you believe that one who receives treatment might realistically attain decades of life expectancy say 30-40 years living with successfully managing the virus. Is this possible and do you feel that the outlook is more optimistic for one infected in 2002 vs. 1996. Thanks.

Hanspeter

Response from Dr. Young

yes, I would agree with your characterization of life expectancy--

The key improvement between 1996 and 2003 is really that the likelihood of having long-term success (with fewer side effects and easier to take regimens) has increased; one simply needs to look at the results of clinical trials from the first period and compare to the most recent-- the performance of our medications (probably enhanced by an increased appreciation for the role of adherence) has improved with time.

Thanks for your comments too-- I'll pass them on to the bosses here at TheBody. BY

Previous
Kaletry
Next
CD4's:wild ride

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.