Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: Resistant?
Jul 21, 2003

Dear Dr. Wohl, Thank you so much for answering my question a few days ago regarding my resistance questions. You mentioned that if I were to provide some additional information, then you might be able to give me more specific answers. My viral load was only tested once before I started medications and I have had no holidays. I was diagnosed with PCP (which I how I found out I had AIDS) in 97 with a viral load somewhere around 100k and 20 T cells. Once I started the Viracept, Epivir and Zerit, it did not take long for the VL to become undetectible, but my T cells only arose to around 250-300 where they stayed for several years. Only since I began Trizivir (and then added Viramune), did they go up - to around 350. So, from what you have told me, I can either stay on the Trizivir/Viramune and just make sure the VL doesn't increase and the t cells don't decrease - although I might be risking some additional resistance. Or I could switch to a new cocktail with a PI. If I were your patient, what would you advise me to do? Thank you again for your time - I really appreciate it. Alex

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Alex,

Thanks for the additional information. You previously wrote that Trizivir did not keep your viral load undetectable and that your doctor intensified your therapy by adding nevirapine. Subsequent to this manuver, your viral load went from 750 to 253 after a month.

At this point I would get another viral load and a genotype even though your viral load may not be high enough for the lab to do resistance testing. If you still have detectable virus, your choices are what you have stated: stay the course or switch.

If your viral load remains very low but detectable, staying the course may be justified by a) the fact that you may accumulate some more resistance mutations but these will be restricted to the nucleosides and b) that your switch options are limited by your peripheral neuropathy and likely 3TC and non-nucleoside (nevirapine/efavirenz) resistance.

Switching is complicated by the neuropathy and possible non-nucleoside resistance.

However, your previous AIDS history and success on your first regimen, impresses me and I lean toward switching to a regimen that emulates the regimen that worked best for you: a PI and 2 nukes. Your virus is probably not resistant to abacavir or tenofovir or even AZT (ddI is out due to the neuropathy). A combination of a PI plus AZT + tenofovir or abacavir + AZT or tenofovir + abacavir, should work.

The PI can be nelfinavir. Atazanavir, a new PI without nasty lipid effects, is another choice but has an interaction with tenofovir that leads to reduced levels of atazanavir - so I'd avoid it here unless you use AZT + abacavir. The combo of AZT + abacavir + atazanavir (triple A!) might be a great fit for your needs.

It is a tough decision. I'd hedge with another viral load and possibly some help from a genotype if we are lucky and then make the choice. Let us know what happens - DW

Previous
Alternative Medicines?
Next
HE2000?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.