Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How to get treatment when cant afford it!!!
Jul 20, 2003

Dear Experts,

I have searched this site but have been unable to find a section that in details explain how to get treatment if one cant afford it. I just wanted to let you know that it would be great if this section doesnt exist to think about adding it. I'm sure that many individuals who need treatment dont get it cause they cant afford it and dont know where to turn. If this does exist please make a note to where we sure turn our sites to. Many thanks.

Howard

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your question and comments.

I'll answer the question from the viewpoint of a US patient. In general terms, ability to afford medications, doesn't mean (typically) that the person has to fully pay for the cost of medications.

There are quite a number of assistance programs, ranging from third party or governmental insurance programs to other assistance programs, like the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) and a variety of pharmaceutical company-sponsored patient assistance programs (the companies give the medications away for persons who cannot afford them and don't have access to other programs).

The key thing is to find good counseling about funding options-- seek out your local AIDS service organization or case managers to evaluate all of your options. Sometimes this is a matter of filing the right papers to become eligible for disability and/or federal programs (like Medicare) or filing the correct papers to access your insurance programs.

If you have the need for HIV treatment in the US, there is no reason that I can see that one way or another, that we can get medications to you. This doesn't mean that it happens, necessarily, immediately, or that there will be no cost, but rather that the medications can be provided with considerable finanical (and hopefully medical) assistance. BY

Previous
What , if any, meds recommend for me now?
Next
Can you feed me some information regarding recent Paris Conference

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.