Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

first combo?
Jul 19, 2003

Dr Wohl: What do you think of this combo? FTC (emtriva), Atazanavir (with low dose norvir) and viread. I am treatment naive. VL 450K and tcells 350. I dont want to start any yet but my doctor says not taking action is like watching house burn down. Kevin

Kevin

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Kevin-

IF you are asymptomatic (have no symptoms of HIV infection), I would disagree with the analogy to the burning house. Rather, I would say that your house could use a few more sprinklers and an extra fire extinguisher or two in case it catches on fire some time in the (near) future but at the moment there is no smoke. However, I agree that your viral load is very high and this would also lead me to urge therapy in the short run.

The combo of tenofovir (Viread) + atazanavir (Reyataz) + 3TC seems like a natural given its convenience but the rub, as you know, is that there are recent data that indicate tenofovir reduces the levels of atazanavir in the blood by at least 25%. This is a bummer. Using low doses of the drug ritonavir may boost atazanavir levels (as it does for other protease inhibitors) to more comfortable levels but an attractive aspect of atazanavir is that it does not lead to lipid or glucose abnormalities. Adding on ritonavir will likely null and void this advantage. Additionally, this is not a combo that has been well studied, particularly in persons with high viral loads.

I'd urge you to talk to your clinician about a slightly more conservative approach with either tenofovir + FTC + efavirenz (Sustiva) - these are also all once a day. An alternative I would also feel more comfortable with than what you have been recommended would be 2 nucleosides (e.g. Combivir, tenofovir + 3TC or FTC, etc) + Kaletra.

Discuss these alternatives with your doc and your concern over the lack of efficacy data regarding the combo he/she is suggesting.

DW

Previous
How to get treatment when cant afford it!!!
Next
Will hiv medicine costs drop and how can we help to bring them down...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.