Dr.Wohl,again need your any words!

Dr.wohl, I'm Linda from China and many thanks for your previous advice to me.Last time I posted my low cd4(558) and you thought maybe I was not hiv+ and you believed my antibody tests...but,dear Dr.wohl,I have some questions that need your answers,I know I've been boring,but I have to,sorry.... 1,I am wondering if I have been infected a rare strain hiv and tests can't work,what's your opinion? 2,I indeed have all standard hiv-infection symptoms after that unprotected sex,pls believe me, I have all symptoms which I never have,do you think 9 months is enough for me to generate antibody? 3,about my dropping cd4,it scare me most..to be honest with you,I have entered a yahoo group and there are many people like my situation,among them there is a person who has been tested hiv-negative for 5 years but surprisely his cd4 has dropped to 300 during past 5 years....I am very afraid I will be the next case like him.if my cd4 still drop but my hiv test keep neg,then what should I do? start to take hiv medicine or wait for aids in unconfirm condition? only if I get aids,then docs will treat me as aids patient and not believe "fool tests"? according to my case,do you agree me to retest cd4 and antibody at 12 month? I know my questions are boring and difficult,but I have no other choice to deal with my painful situation,my life has been completely destroyed...would you answer my questions? all of your answers have been greatly appreciated,really,thanks for your any words.I don't know how to deal with myself. ---Linda

Dear Linda,

I do not know what version of HIV antibody test is used in the part of China you live in but I suspect it is capable of detecting the most prevalent viruses.

For you to have symptoms of HIV within 9 months of infection is very unusual. Most of my patients were diagnosed with HIV years after they were infected, during which they had no symptoms of their disease.

Your CD4 of 558 is not low. There is a range of 'normal' CD4 cell counts. Yours is in that range.

Again, to me it sounds like you are not HIV infected. DW

vacine how far off?
New HIV Infection and Meds