Symptoms, but no detectable viral load and normal CD4 number

Dr. Young,

What drug combination would you recommend for someone who was HIV positive by ELISA for over a year, has no detectable viral load by Roche Ultra Sensitive Amplicor 1.5, still has a normal CD4 count (950), but has numerous bad HIV related symptoms that have been around since diagnosis and won't go away? (other causes being excluded)

Would it depend on the symptoms? In this case, they include bad pharyngitis and lymphadenopathy, fevers, nausea, coated tongue with sores, lots of physical weakness (no anemia, though).

How is it possible to have bad HIV symptoms with no detectable viral load and a normal CD4 count?...have you seen or heard of this before and how would you treat it?

Thank you.

Yes, it is entirely possible to have progressive HIV symptoms with a high CD4 cell count and very low (or even undetectable) viral load. This is not the common situation, mind you, but I don't have any reason to think (from what you've stated) that HIV couldn't be the culprit.

Before starting on HIV treatments, though, it would be very important to make sure that there wasn't something else going on, like an other infefction (TB, for example) or even a malignancy-- in other words, a good examination from your doctor would be in order.

As for which medications to use, I'd fall back on the many discussions that you can review on this forum on the topic, because I'd still want you on a potent, 3 drug regimen; one that is best tolerated and simple to take (for you, that is). Good luck. BY

AZT causing CD4 drop? Alternatives?
medications for aids