The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

question about resistance strains
Jul 2, 2003

Hi, I found out last year that I am positive. I have sent a few questions to you already and appreciate the answers that you give. My tcell is 650 and viral is 120,000. My doc. is putting me on Kaletra and combivir next month. He said that the labs showed that I have a virus that is resistant to some meds already. Should I know and ask more about this? I am very naive still at this point and am gathering tons of great info on this site. I read it everyday and it seems like I should ask more questions?? Thanks again

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

From the sounds of it, you must of acquired a non-nuke-resistant virus (one of the more commonly transmitted flavors).

Your doc did the right thing by testing and recognizing this possibility, since starting with a non-nuke for you would have been the wrong thing to do (though clearly a common starting regimen).

I'd ask your doctor for copies of the resistance testing reports (for your records), and try to find out exactly what variant type of virus you have (which mutation or drug susceptibility pattern).

The key issue, it that for persons like yourself, is that while you were treatment naive, your virus was not-- hence, you really want to and need to strive to have the most potent regimen and best adherence now; with each subsequent round of therapy, HIV becomes more and more difficult to treat.

Yes, keep asking questions-- both to us and your doctor. Good luck. Let us know how things turn out. BY

newly diagnosed w/ low cd4

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint