question about resistance strains

Hi, I found out last year that I am positive. I have sent a few questions to you already and appreciate the answers that you give. My tcell is 650 and viral is 120,000. My doc. is putting me on Kaletra and combivir next month. He said that the labs showed that I have a virus that is resistant to some meds already. Should I know and ask more about this? I am very naive still at this point and am gathering tons of great info on this site. I read it everyday and it seems like I should ask more questions?? Thanks again

Thanks for your question.

From the sounds of it, you must of acquired a non-nuke-resistant virus (one of the more commonly transmitted flavors).

Your doc did the right thing by testing and recognizing this possibility, since starting with a non-nuke for you would have been the wrong thing to do (though clearly a common starting regimen).

I'd ask your doctor for copies of the resistance testing reports (for your records), and try to find out exactly what variant type of virus you have (which mutation or drug susceptibility pattern).

The key issue, it that for persons like yourself, is that while you were treatment naive, your virus was not-- hence, you really want to and need to strive to have the most potent regimen and best adherence now; with each subsequent round of therapy, HIV becomes more and more difficult to treat.

Yes, keep asking questions-- both to us and your doctor. Good luck. Let us know how things turn out. BY

tested+/-
newly diagnosed w/ low cd4