Hey Doc whats new in the pipeline for me?

Doc,

Sadly i have run out of medications. But, my t-cells are stable for now and i wanna know if there will be a combo available for me within the next three years? To add to this i decided to save fuzeon for a future combo...good idea?

This is a tough situation-- one that many of my patients share with you.

If your CD4 cells are stable and in an acceptable range, then I'd not use enfuvirtide (Fuzeon) unless you're able to partner this with at least one, and preferably two new and potent medications; at least until we know how to partner our existing medications in more potent ways.

There is at least one upcoming medication that I'm holding out for-- tipranavir-- a new generation protease inhibitor that will very likely retain activity against virus that has multiple PI resistance. Not a panacea, mind you, it will need to be boosted, and will have the "usual" spectrum of PI side-effects. But for persons who have very limited options right now, the prospect of enfuvirtide/tipranavir-based therapy holds the promise of the ability to fully suppress virus.

So to answer your question specifically, if everything else is stable, I'd wait and monitor things closely.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck. BY

how long is a resistance test good for??
to start or not