Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

scared about me prognosis
Jul 1, 2003

Benjamin Young m.d,

I was diagnosed a year ago but for me it is not time to start treatment. My doctor did not do a resistance test because he said there is no need because my partner was NEVER on any medications. But, as i was reading posts i realized it is possible to get a resistant virus this way. Is it likely that i required drug resistance, if so is there a possibility that none of the meds work for me?....what new drugs are in the pipeline that previous mutations wouldnt be resisnt to at all?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question. It is probably unlikely that you've acquired drug resistance, but the real answer without testing (or knowing your local epidemiology) is that I don't know.

It is unlikely, since your virus came from a treatment naive-person that your virus is either drug-resistant or multi-drug-resistant-- I'd speculate that there should definately be medications that we can use to treat your virus when and if this is needed.

There are an increasing number of medications available and in development that have activity against drug-resistant virus.

The key thing, particularly given your concern about drug resistance is to continue to get good laboratory monitoring and practice safe sex and drugs-- the later point is relevant because of evidence that, while you probably have drug-susceptible virus now, you could potentially become secondarily infected(or super-infected) with someone else's drug resistant virus.

Good luck. BY

Previous
The real danger?
Next
Fvers

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.