scared about me prognosis

Benjamin Young m.d,

I was diagnosed a year ago but for me it is not time to start treatment. My doctor did not do a resistance test because he said there is no need because my partner was NEVER on any medications. But, as i was reading posts i realized it is possible to get a resistant virus this way. Is it likely that i required drug resistance, if so is there a possibility that none of the meds work for me?....what new drugs are in the pipeline that previous mutations wouldnt be resisnt to at all?

Thanks for your question. It is probably unlikely that you've acquired drug resistance, but the real answer without testing (or knowing your local epidemiology) is that I don't know.

It is unlikely, since your virus came from a treatment naive-person that your virus is either drug-resistant or multi-drug-resistant-- I'd speculate that there should definately be medications that we can use to treat your virus when and if this is needed.

There are an increasing number of medications available and in development that have activity against drug-resistant virus.

The key thing, particularly given your concern about drug resistance is to continue to get good laboratory monitoring and practice safe sex and drugs-- the later point is relevant because of evidence that, while you probably have drug-susceptible virus now, you could potentially become secondarily infected(or super-infected) with someone else's drug resistant virus.

Good luck. BY

The real danger?
Fvers