Dream to having a baby?
Jun 29, 2003
I am HIV+ male, and would like to know if it's possible to have babies through artificial fertilization? when yes, what should I do ? and where/whih institut in Europe I can visit ? Thanx a lot !
Response from Dr. Aberg
There are several possibilities assuming the woman is HIV negative.
1. Some couples choose to take some risk of the woman becoming HIV positive. To reduce the risk as much as possible, the man takes HIV therapy and his serum HIV viral load becomes undetectable. The couple gets counseling to help determine when she will ovulate. There are test kits you can buy at the drug store to help determine when the woman is ovulating. The couple either has unprotected sex or the woman is artificially inseminated. I have heard of cases where the HIV negative woman took HIV medications as an extra precaution to prevent transmission but there is no data suggesting this is effective and it is not an approved use of the drugs. I would caution the use of HIV medicines in this scenario and would certainly not recommend doing this without the help of a healthcare provider.
2. There are clinical trials evaluating the use of "sperm washing" to further reduce the risk of transmitting HIV to women. The man collects his semen and the sperm are "washed" and tested for HIV. If the sperm sample is HIV negative, then the woman is artificially inseminated. In addition, the couple could chose in-vitro fertilization with washed sperm. I do not know where all the centers are but I do know that the University of Milan Medical School in Italy has such a program. Dr. V. Savasi reported data on about 400 couples during a meeting last year. I would recommend that you contact the group at Milan for further information. Please see my review of this study.
3. Other options to have a child include artificial insemination by a HIV negative sperm donor and adoption. Obviously, you would not be the biological father of this child but many find this very rewarding and fulfilling.
I wish you the best of luck in achieving your dreams this study
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Is A Good Viral Load And T-cell Count For Someone With Hiv?
- Why Do I Get Bacterial Vaginosis After Sex?
- When Can I Return To Work After Shingles?
- What Can I Use Over The Counter To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Are Over The Counter Treatments For Genital Warts?
- Effects Of Touching Genital Warts With A Finger
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.