The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i am healthy but HIV possitive.

Jun 28, 2003

Please help me i am one of the hiv positive men.and my virol lort is 943 and my cd 4 normal so tell me which treatment is better for me and my weight is 89 kgs. my age is 30 and i am right now healthy there is no problem in my body but i want to start treatment so virush will not effect more.please help me and give me best adivse for my body. i hope you will help me awiating for your reply.

Response from Dr. Wohl

If your CD4 cell count is above 350, most HIV doctors would not recommend that you start HIV meds. Your very very low viral load only strengthens this recommendation. This is because the viral load PREDICTS what will happen to the CD4 cells - the higher the viral load, the faster the CD4 cells drop.

Now this sounds curious as there are few diseases, especially infectious diseases, which we detect and then opt to postpone treating until things worsen. HIV specialist are well aware of this contradiction but it is based on our concerns regarding the current crop of HIV meds. Had we powerful, convenient drugs free of toxicity, the story would be different.

Count yourself lucky. Find a good HIV doctor to monitor your counts and keep you up to date on changes to how we treat HIV. DW

Can Trizivir/Viread Combo cause neuropathy?
Stopping after 3 weeks, pro and cons.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint