Need your advice Dr. Wohl

Dear Good Dr. Wohl,

I am in a total state of fear and would really appreciate your help.

In September of 2002, I had unprotected sex with a prostitute. I know this is incredibly stupid and the fear it has plagued me with over the past months has been intense.

I have had multiple tests that would indicate I was not infected, but there is conflicting information that makes me doubt my test results. In addition, I am in complete fear of passing on HIV to my wife.

I have had negative antibody tests at 3,4,5,6,7,8, and 9 months. I have also had a negative qualitative DNA PCR test at the 9 month mark. You would think that these tests would calm me down, right?

But I am still filled with fear, and here is why. 1. Since 1 month after the exposure, I have been experiencing intense back and groin pains which I attribute to neuropathy brought on by HIV. 2. I did not have unprotected sex with my wife until after the 6 month negative test to protecte her. We had unprotected sex after the 8 month negative test. A month later, she came down with bloody diarrhea which was later diagnosed as ischemic colitis. The strange thing is that this condition is usually seen in women over 50 and she is only 38.

Good Dr., I am not sure what to do and would appreciate it if you could answer the following questions...

1. Is ischemic colitis associated with early HIV infection? (i.e. Is my wife's colitis caused by my infecting her with HIV?)

2. Could my back and groin pain be associated with HIV infection?

3. Do my test results overide all the other information? Are they enough proof for you that I am not infected and have not infected my wife?

I would really appreciate any words of advice since this situation has essentially paralyzed me with fear.

Thanks so much for your help,

Tim.

Your tests indicate you are not HIV infected. Neuropathy is not an early sign of HIV infection and when it occurs later in its course it almost always involves the feet and lower parts of the legs. Ischemic colitis is not associated with HIV.

Put these all together and you can see that HIV is not what is going on here. DW

initial results = low CD4 and low-ish VL
100 percent mortality rate