initial results = low CD4 and low-ish VL

I tested positive in late-May '03. Got my 1st set of #s yesterday: 289 CD4 w/VL of 29,000. The CD4 number shocks and scares me, and since I don't know when I seroconverted, I'm not sure how to take the VL--tho my dr says it's likely been a while since I converted with a VL like that.

I'm pretty freaked out about the CD4 count, yet my dr says that it's imprudent to over-react based on just the first test. Do you concur? If CD4 should be at least 350 and I'm at 289 out of the starting gate, it seems to me I should immediately start treatment, scared though I am to do so.

I'll get the 2nd set of #s in a week. I am non-resistant, but my testosterone fell by 2/3 since a routine physical in Feb '02 and my cholesterol has spiked a bit (likely due to the Atkins diet).

What is the likelihood that CD4 will increase a month after the first bloodwork? Do I need to mentally prepare now to start taking meds in the extremely near future?

MANY THANKS

Thanks for your question.

I agree entirely with your doctor about reacting to single sets of lab results. It is, nevertheless, reassuring that you don't have any evidence of drug resistance.

Either way, if your CD4 repeats at the 300-ish level, starting on therapy in the near-future would make sense to me. There will likely be some variation in the labs, but I'd draw your attention to the CD4%-- this number varies less, and could be a useful measure for counseling.

Good luck.BY

Fevers without temperatures
Need your advice Dr. Wohl