Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fevers without temperatures
Jun 28, 2003

Dr. Young,

Among the many symptoms I experience these days, I often feel very hot and feverish, but usually - when this happens - have no elevated temperature. Also, the lymph nodes in my neck and groin are very tender most of the time, but don't swell.

Could the above be signs of disease progression and that my immune system has been damaged? I mean, aren't high temperatures and swollen glands in response to infection the way a healthy immune system responds to infection?

Have you ever encountered or heard of similar situations? Do you think these anomalies could show that the immune system is not functioning properly?

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Young

Persistently swollen glands (lymph nodes) are common among persons with HIV infection.

The fact, however, that you have other symptoms raises the possibility that something else might be going on-- perhaps your viral load is now increasing, perhaps other infections, or, I certainly want to be sure that you don't have a malignancy (another cause of persistently swollen glands).

I'd ask you to advise your doctor of the situation and have further medicatl evaluation. Good luck. BY

Previous
Immune function/feeling better at night
Next
initial results = low CD4 and low-ish VL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.