Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Fevers without temperatures

Dr. Young,

Among the many symptoms I experience these days, I often feel very hot and feverish, but usually - when this happens - have no elevated temperature. Also, the lymph nodes in my neck and groin are very tender most of the time, but don't swell.

Could the above be signs of disease progression and that my immune system has been damaged? I mean, aren't high temperatures and swollen glands in response to infection the way a healthy immune system responds to infection?

Have you ever encountered or heard of similar situations? Do you think these anomalies could show that the immune system is not functioning properly?

Many thanks.

Persistently swollen glands (lymph nodes) are common among persons with HIV infection.

The fact, however, that you have other symptoms raises the possibility that something else might be going on-- perhaps your viral load is now increasing, perhaps other infections, or, I certainly want to be sure that you don't have a malignancy (another cause of persistently swollen glands).

I'd ask you to advise your doctor of the situation and have further medicatl evaluation. Good luck. BY

Immune function/feeling better at night
initial results = low CD4 and low-ish VL