Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Confused and Extatic!!!!

I have recently (May) contracted HIV and seroconverted, my CD4 was 413 and VL >500,000.I was very worried, the doctor put me on Trizivir and Kaletra immedietly( I started after a 10 day trip to Europe), anyway I had my blood tested after 5 days on medication, the results came back CD4 859 and VL 1396. I was stunned, is it possible that 5 days of meds could improve my numbers so quickly, if not what are the other factors, I feel happy but confused.

During acute HIV infection, the viral load climbs to the highest level it will ever be. In many cases, the viral load reaches into the millions per mL of blood. Without therapy, the load soon falls to some set point at which it tends to stay from there on.

In your case it is likely that the HIV meds and the natural drop in viral load after acute infection occured at the same time. This IS good news and something to be happy about.

Starting Sooner is Better
starting treatment for first time