Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can better adherence lead to MORE resistance?
Jun 21, 2003

Hello Doctors!

I was scanning the highlights from the "12th International HIV Drug Resistance Workshop" and ran across this article:

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2003icr/12thdrug/documents/7_abstract.htm

I'll cut to the chase with the quote that puzzled me greatly:

"Conclusions: While improved adherence by treatment-experienced patients was associated with better virologic response, it may have promoted selection of more resistant HIV. Thus, interventions to improve adherence in such patients may be effective at preventing virologic failure but may have little or a negative impact upon acquisition of new antiretroviral resistance."

Now, there are plenty of qualifications in that quote, but even so: Can you explain how better adherence can lead to better virologic response while at the same time leading to more resistance?

Could this have something to do with diminished replication capacity in the resistant virus?

What does this mean (if anything) for patients trying very hard to achieve 100 adherence?

Thanks for your time and insight!

Response from Dr. Wohl

The situations in which the risk of developing HIV drug resistance is the LEAST is at the extremes of adherence. Meaning, if people are absolutely adherent OR are hardly taking their meds at all, the risk of resistance is the lowest.

It is in the middle that things get hairy. If you are 30% adherent and then get religion and become 60% adherent you may not have done yourself a great favor as far as preventing mutant drug resistant virus from popping up. This is because to get drug resistance you need a level of the drug in your blood that is high enough to force the virus to mutate to survive but not high enough to kill the virus. At 30% (I am making up the % adherence as no one knows what levels exactly correspond to risk of resistance) maybe there was too little drug around to prompt resistance mutations. But at 60%, viola! Mutants abound. Again - the % adherence I am using are examples. As you get real close to 100% adherence viral replication shuts down and resistance can't occur.

Take your medications 95-100% of the time and risk of resistance will be low and chance of optimally suppressing your virus, high.

DW

Previous
Why am I having side-effect with out the meds.
Next
Starting Sooner is Better

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.