Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr.Wohl,cd4:cd8=0.87,cd4 very low,how to do??
Jun 21, 2003

Dr.Wohl, I'm Linda from China and I ever consulted you about my lasting HIV-symptoms.Now here are new condition with me,I have been with sore throat for 2 months recently and I went to lab to do cd4 test,the result is cd4:cd8=0.87,cd4 count:550,I know this mean my immune system is very weak and my cd4 has dropping very fastly.Another fact is:Another fact is I had an unprotected sex 9 months ago,and I did HIV-ANTIBODY test at 3,4,6,8,9 month and all are negative.In China CDC and hospitals don't offer PCR-DNA test in clinic,so I have no other ways to check HIV...I really believe I have been infected HIV,but antibody tests can't detect it. Dr,wohl,pls give me some suggestion,what should I do now to determine my status????? I only want to know if it is hiv that cause my cd4 drop so fastly, what's your opition about my case??? Dear Dr,pls tell me what's my next step to do,I am really in despair because of my low cd4 and weak immune system...--Linda

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Linda,

I think you are probably not HIV+. I know this is not what you want to hear but the antibody test is a good test and indicates your body is not infected with HIV. I do not think PCR will add anything.

DW

Previous
HIV
Next
Adherence

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.