Dr. Dave You Rock

Dear Dr. Dave:

You really rock. I like the way you answer question's. Thanks for all the great work. Would you please give me a second opinion!

I had unprotected sex with an individual I did not know. I am female and he did ejaculate in me. However after testing at 2,3, and 4 months all negative on the Elisa I assumed I was ok. The problem is now I have been diagnosed with sensory poly peripheral neuropathy. The neurolgist did an EMG.

I visited an HIV specialist for my 4 month the test at that time I was getting tingling in my feet. He does not know that I was diagnosed with neuropathy. He said even if I were HIV positive which you are not if you do have PN it would not be associated with HIV so soon.

I told my neurologist, my primary care doc and the HIV specialist. They all said that I do not have HIV even though I have PN. They say the PN that I have can not be related to HIV.

I would like an opinion from you.

Thanks

libit scared

Dear Libit,

Thanks for your word of support.

You have done the right thing in getting the opinions of a neurologist and an HIV specialist. From what you report, it seems they are in agreement that you are HIV UNinfected.

That is the good news. The bad news is you have some neuropathy. There are many causes of neuropathy and I am sure your docs looked for these (thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies, toxins, syphilis... the list goes on).

If you feel a need, you can get tested again for HIV at 6 months, but, as you have been told, I suspect it will be negative.

Lastly, please do avoid exposures that can transmit HIV by using condoms during sex. Good luck- DW

Best first steps
HIV