Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Please answer Doctor Wohl

I tested posative for hiv. I was infected about 6 years ago but I am just seeing an Hiv specilist next week. I am 24 years old and i need a real answer on this. I have read many places that if people with hiv take their meds that other factors will determine their life expectancy and not hiv. Do you agree with that statement?

I think what you are getting at is that an HIV-infected individual who takes their medications and has an optimal response with long term suppression of their HIV and a lasting boost in T cells can expect something other than HIV to do them in.

This will clearly be the case for many.

But for those starting HIV therapy (not in the possession of a crystal ball) this is the goal to work toward. Meanwhile, look both ways before crossing the street. DW

acute conversion immediate therapy concerns
resistance virus question