Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Appropriate Testing or Wasting Money
Jun 9, 2003

Dr. Wohl,

I have read on your site extensively about the possible advantages of early detection/treatment and the positive impact that could have on the long term progression of this disease. My question is that, how aggressive should one be in pursuing testing to determine as soon as possible if one is infected and at what point does it make sense to back off the testing and let things flow naturally? I had a unprotected sex exposure 8 weeks ago. Because of my concern, I took a PCR DNA and Antibody test at 31 days, both negative. Subsequently, I took a Antibody test at 60 days, negative as well. Does it make sense to continue to pursue antibody testing on a bi-weekly basis? Would another PCR test be worth the cost? Or am I now throwing money away because the possible benefit of early starting of treatment has been reduced because of the time frame?

I appreciate your comments. I believe that the hit it hard, hit early approach is best, but at the same time, not sure if me becoming a pin cushion is of any real benefit.

Thanks, Dr.

Response from Dr. Wohl

You are done with your testing. I'd put the money to use buying some really expensive (and colorful) condoms. DW

Previous
induction/maintinance
Next
acute conversion immediate therapy concerns

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.