Appropriate Testing or Wasting Money

Dr. Wohl,

I have read on your site extensively about the possible advantages of early detection/treatment and the positive impact that could have on the long term progression of this disease. My question is that, how aggressive should one be in pursuing testing to determine as soon as possible if one is infected and at what point does it make sense to back off the testing and let things flow naturally? I had a unprotected sex exposure 8 weeks ago. Because of my concern, I took a PCR DNA and Antibody test at 31 days, both negative. Subsequently, I took a Antibody test at 60 days, negative as well. Does it make sense to continue to pursue antibody testing on a bi-weekly basis? Would another PCR test be worth the cost? Or am I now throwing money away because the possible benefit of early starting of treatment has been reduced because of the time frame?

I appreciate your comments. I believe that the hit it hard, hit early approach is best, but at the same time, not sure if me becoming a pin cushion is of any real benefit.

Thanks, Dr.

You are done with your testing. I'd put the money to use buying some really expensive (and colorful) condoms. DW

induction/maintinance
acute conversion immediate therapy concerns