Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

6-12 mos., then STOP for good? Where do I sign up?
Jun 2, 2003

Dr.,

How confident are these doctors of acutely infected patients when they say that only 6-12 months of treatment is necessary for the rest of their lives?

Are you one of these such docs

And if this scenario plays out and an acutely infected patient stops once the doctor's predetermined goals have been reached by the patient, does that mean that (theoretically) the patient can resume his normal (negative, or pre-HIV) lifestyle? (obviously infecting others would ALWAYS be of concern (barring total eradication, of course!)).

Alas, all of this is still being determined, but is that the general idea these M.D.s have when they embark on this route of treatment?

To summarize: Am I mistaken in getting excited about maybe being 'normal' (or a reasonable facsimile there-of) again after the crushing realization of a (quite recent) positive diagnosis?

One last thing: What if my particular Doc. doesn't see the bonuses of this quite optimistic approach, and strongly recommends waiting? Is it just a matter of me finding one that will do this?

Thank you, your acvice/knowledge is quite useful at this time.

Response from Dr. Young

I don't think that there is any confidence at the moment about when to stop therapy, or when to resume therapy. It's merely an idea. BY

Previous
STIs VS. treatment holidays
Next
resistant virus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.