STIs VS. treatment holidays

Dr.

Two things that are commonly referred to in this forum are STIs and treatment holidays. There seems to be a difference betwen the two, but I am not sure exactly what it is. Could you please define the two, and give any disinguishing characteristics of them?

Thank you very much.

The difference is the "S" in STI-- structured treatment interruptions refers to a preset timeline for the starting and stopping of treatment. This is something that is being explored in a number of clinical trials from the US and Europe.

When I talk about treatment holidays-- I'm refering to the idea that successful therapy can be discontinued (all drugs) with the acceptance of the eventual loss of CD4 cells and return of viral load. Therapy would be resumed at some point in the future, at a time to be determined either by the doctor or patient.

The difference, you can see is a bit semantical, but worth noting. Hope this helps, BY

Trizivir and Drug Resistance
6-12 mos., then STOP for good? Where do I sign up?