Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

husband just starting meds. after knowing he was + for 10 years.

My husband of 10 months just took his head out of the sand and found out that he has full blown aids w/ a CD count of 54. First, will he survive? He starts on theh "cocktail" this week; he is suffering from neopathy (sp) very badly. He's lost over 35 lbs. Will he be able to regain his CD count and will he make it? Although I didn't know any of this until 5 weeks ago, I am with him and am trying to understand why he ignored his diagnosis over 10 years ago. I have tested negative, but feel that I need to be tested every 3 months. Am I being paranoid? We have a lot to get through, but with God's love and the support of friends and some family members, I think we will be alright. Thanks for answering some of my many questions.(I apologize for rambling on, too) Sincerely, M

Yes, your husband can survive- provided that he finds a good HIV doctor and gets on potent antiretroviral medications in the near future. Assuming that he can tolerate the medications well and miss as few doses as possible, I think that a gradual recovery of the CD4 cells is possible (it definately has happened in our clinic).

Your support for your husband and his situation is very admirable and will increase his chances of a good outcome.

I'd agree with you that getting tested again in 3 and 6 months would be very reasonable.

Good luck to both of you. BY

sperm washing
908 Study check-in