Scared I'm taking meds improperly

Dear Doctor, I'm a little confused on my doctor's plan with my drug regimen. I am taking Viread-300mg, Videx-250mg, and Sustiva-600mg, once a day. I asked him if I needed to take food with Viread on this combo, as Viread is supposed to be taken with food. He said no and that it is okay to take all 3 drugs together on an empty stomach, 2 hours after eating or 1 hour before eating. So, this is what I have been doing. I'm scared he doesn't know what he is doing and is going to ruin my HIV combo. Please help. Thanks in advance...Antonio

I advise my patients on this combination to take all of their medications together in the evening, prior to bed.

The manufacturer of tenofovir (Viread) has conducted studies to look at the effect of food on drug levels with ddI (didanosine, Videx) and show that the two can be taken together, irrespective of meal status. The only restriction with efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin) is to not take the medication with a fatty meal.

So in the end, not to worry about ruining your combination-- the attraction of the regimen is that all the medications can be taken together, once-a-day without significant concern over when you last ate. BY

Buffalo Hump can it be made smaller by any means?
Positive to Negative