Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow Up
May 29, 2003

Dr Young:

Wow--You answered many questions on May 29. You must gave gotten a jolt of energy, or just a little spare time.

I had earier asked about the death rate of persons who are on treatment. Your response indicates that those with a rapid hiv progression might die earlier even with treatment. Do you know why? I can understand if there is drug resistance, but your response suggested to me that even without resistance, deatk may come sooner. That I need some explanation for. Will the meds not stop the disease progression? Kevin

Response from Dr. Young

Kevin--

Yes, a bolt of energy has struck me (actually precious spare time while travelling for work).

The unstated part of my answer relates to the fact that some persons, despite good access to care and medications merely have bad luck (like drug toxicity)or just don't want to be on medications-- I've watched treatment naive persons simply refuse therapy and die from rapidly progressive AIDS.

So, I was speaking from a population- or group-based perspective.

If someone truly was able to comply (adhere) to a well thought out treatment regimen, I'd think that rapid progressor or not, that the likelihood of treatment success (and therefore immune health) is very, very good-- yes, disease progression should be halted. -BY

Previous
First treatment
Next
BACTRUM AND MARIJUANA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.