Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The Grey Zone 200-350 T-cells
May 29, 2003

Hi,

I was diagnosed HIV positive a year ago. My T-cell count has ranged from 285 to 400. Right now, it is about 316 or 25. My viral load has ranged anywhere from 40,000 to 300,000. Right now it is about 185,000. Both t-cell and viral load counts bounce up and down...there has not been a steady progression up or down in either case. I have been very healthy and have not had to deal with the side effects of meds. I read a recent article about the benefits of treating early. Is there any new evidence that says that I should start therapy early? I have had irritable bowel syndrome for most of my adult life and I'm very concerned about HIV meds making it even worse. I am also very concerned about facial wasting and lipodystrophy. If I were to start meds, is there a certain combination that you would recommend that is least likely to have the side effects mentioned above?

Also, I am moving to Philadelphia and would like to find a well respected HIV doctor. Any recommendations? I really appreciate your advice.....thank you, Jim

Response from Dr. Wohl

You are exactly right when you say your CD4 cell count is in the 'gray zone'.

The dominant paradigm in the US right now is to start therapy at a CD4 cell count below 350 if a patient seems ready, willing and able to take HIV medications.

Certainly, your moderate to high viral load suggests that you are headed toward further CD4 cell count declines in the not too distant future. When CD4 cell counts remain stable at 300-350, it is hard to get excited about rushing into HIV treatment if a person has no major symptoms of HIV disease and is ambivalent about therapy. One approach might be to follow your counts and if you have a couple of CD4 cell counts below 300, strongly consider starting treatment.

Philly boasts a number of very fine providers of HIV care. The University of Pennsylvania is top notch and they have an active AIDS research unit conducting clinical trials of initial HIV therapy that you may be very interested in considering (even now).

Thomas Jefferson Medical Center in Center City is another hospital with HIV experts on staff. Good luck - DW

Previous
Multiple treatments
Next
ADVICE needed, Please!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.