mucous

Hi

Do you have any idea what might cause mucous in my coming out of my rectum? It has been going on for weeks. I had giardia 2months ago and was treated--they found no giardia one month ago though the mucous was coming then. It was sparodic for a while--now this week it is more frequent. I just tested pos 2 months ago. was neg last march (2002). Not on any meds. Tcells 500 and vl 350K.

Response from Dr. Cohen

So while the 'net is an otherwise exhilirating way to get medical info - the answer is No! - we can't tell you what is going on. No Ifs, Ands or Butts about it. Even a JPEG won't do it...

For a physical ailment such as this - you absolutely need to get your butt to a clinician who can take a look, do a culture, examine you and get more of a history and then that'll give you an answer to your question. Somethings just have to be done face to face... well, not exactly, but you know what I mean. If the first round of cultures didn't help - sometimes we need to do more - even get the help of a specialist to look inside and see what is going wrong. While we can give you a list of things that can cause lower GI infections - that won't help. In the end - I just can't narrow it down enough to be of help - and some conditions need way more than an educated guess -- they need an accurate diagnosis and treatment - OK?

HIV and drinking (asymptomatic or on meds)
How to exercise when weak