Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

20 year non-progresser, now on minimal HART
May 29, 2003

I've been HIV + for 20 years and never taken meds. In that time, my t-cells averaged about 325 and when I started checking viral load, it never went over 10,000 copies. 6 months ago that changed and hit bottom in January 2003 with CD-4 count of 160 and a viral load of 200,000 as well as symptoms of fatigue and intestinal parasites. Two months ago I started Combivir and Viramune. I wanted to be on the easiest program possible. Much to my Dr's surprise, my viral load was undetectable within two months and my cd-4 was back up to 260. My questions is this: How long should I expect this treatment to continue working and are there other issues that I should be aware of? -DT

Response from Dr. Young

I'm not sure why the big surprise, since Combivir/nevirapine is quite a potent, yet simple drug regimen to take. Provided that you're able to take the medications with excellent adherence, I'd expect things to work well for many years.

The key thing with all drug regimens for HIV remains adherence and routine monitoring for safety and efficacy of the medications. This means working hard on not missing doses of medications, or missing follow up appointments with your doctor. Good luck. BY

Previous
Drug holiday similar to a single missed dose?
Next
Are people takingf meds still dying?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.