Floaters And Petechiae

Dear Dr. Wohl,

I have been experiencing , floaters, petechiae and intermittent migraine headaches for the last 18 months, after a sexual encounter with a sex worker. I have had several hiv tests (3 months, 6 months and 1 year) which were all negative. I know something is wrong. My symptoms are ery similar to those shared by others (see, for example, the message which was posted to you on 27th January this year entitled Terrified of Symptoms). I feel a similar malaise, too. I know that I have not got hiv, but my doctors have been unable to explain my floaters, or the petechiae, or the headaches. The mucous memrane at the bac of my throat also wen a milky white colour just after the risky practice and all the veins are far more pronounced. I feel constantly "hung over". What is wrong with me? Please give me any clues. Here in Spain my doctor doesnt listen to me. This is NOT psychological and it seems to me that there is possibly another virus with the symptoms described. What can I do? I trust and hope that you will be able to help.

Thank you to you and your colleagues for the marvellous labour of love which you perform. Finally, could I ask that others with similar symptoms contact me at the following e-mail address. There is strength in numbers: jaf36@wanadoo.es

Best wishes,

John, Spain

Dear John,

I agree with you that HIV is very unlikely to e at the root of your symptoms. You are describing a constellation of signs and symptoms some of which usually follow long term HIV infection and/or exposure to HIV medications and others that are peculiar for HIV. In addition, many of us have floaters, red spots on our skin and coated tounges which we may not really pay attention to. That is until we have a risky encounter and start wondering and then examining our heretofore ignored bodies for signs that the worst has occured.

Of course, I can not diagnose what is wrong but from what you describe it is not HIV. Thanks, DW

DR.WOHL,PLS HELP ME,NEED YOUR ADVICE!!!!
Doctor, a very important fever question