Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

family member has aids.
May 17, 2003

My brother in law has had HIV for 5 years. I just found out about it from my wife, because he has full blown aids now. What can we expect? Is there anything that can be done to prolong his life? Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Young

Sorry to hear of your situation.

This is a very large topic-- too large to cover with justice with this answer, but I'd direct you to the many listings on TheBody for details.

In brief, assuming that your brother-in-law has access to care and medications, persons living with HIV infection can hope to have restoration of their immune function, quality and quantity of life.

There are many variables that affect prognosis-- including other health issues (like tuberculosis, hepatitis, drug-dependency) and the ability to adhere to medical follow up and prescribed medications.

The best thing to prolong his life is to make sure that he has access to experienced HIV health care providers, access to medications and when or if started on antiretroviral medications, that he is assisted in adherence to the prescribed medical regimen.

Good luck, BY

Previous
Right time to start meds and right combination?
Next
dosing schedule

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.