The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

This is the wierdest case, what do u say about this???
May 13, 2003

Dr. Wohl,

Question in regards to this post:

Sorry to bother you. I dont understand, how this man could test negative even to DNA PCR so such an amount of time? Um do you have any idea why this happened to him, why he tested negative so long even when he was already with AIDS. I for instance had a needlestick exposure in lab, accident. Tested negative at 7 months with EIA, negative at 50 days with DNA PCR, never tested for hiv type 2, type o, or type N. Needlestick exposure occured in Ridgewood, New Jersey. Now, i have had recurrent either post nasal or sinus, seborrea, and now even some wierd marks or moles on my skin, like scars like from chickenpox, not pox but scar marks, its wierd. Do you think i can stand on my initial negative tests? Or should i retest? And sorry to say, but do you think i am like this guy? I hope not!!!!


Response from Dr. Wohl

The report you found in a back issue (1996) of the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report comes from an era during which HIV antibody testing was still evolving.

As the article states, this individual with negative or weekly positive HIV antibody testing was indeed positive using other assays and by a DNA PCR test.

Newer generation ELISA tests are now used that are better than previous versions and also readily detect HIV-2.

Your own negative antibody test and, I suspect, HIV RNA test, puts you in a different category than this case. Unlike him, you are HIV uninfected.

Thanks, DW.

manual labor all day--hiv effects
Thanks Dr Wohl, follow up to blood donation

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint