Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: I nned your advise may 5
May 10, 2003

Dr. Wohl

I wanted to know why you told this person to get tested when the only exposure was recieving oral sex? On the body site under transmission they say that hiv is not transmitted this way and that there is no real risk. Do you disagree with them? If so I would guess that you also think that kissing would be a risk since it is essentially the same thing albeit in different places. I also went onto the hopkins-aids site and Dr. Gallant also says that there is really no risk and he even tells patients on his site that are hiv+ that their hiv - partners are not at any risk when they perform oral on them. Am I missing something or do you believe this to be risky in the real world not the theoretical one. Thank you for your reply because I am getting confused.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Confused,

The main reason I advised the writer to get tested is so that he would find out he was HIV- and get on with his life. Every provider he had seen followed the logical course, bolstered by the data you cite regarding oral sex and HIV transmission. This left him miserable and did not address his concerns.

Sometimes, you get an HIV test to find out you are negative rather than positive. This was so in this case.

Since we are on the topic of oral sex, let me add, I am certain Dr. Gallant and most other thinking people would agree that it is not impossible to contract HIV via oral sex - meaning there is some finite risk - albeit, I completely agree, a very very low risk.

Kissing and oral sex can hardly be compared. The amount of HIV in saliva is miniscule compared to that in genital secretions (remember, the vast majority of people on the planet with HIV received their virus in a package of genital secretions). Inoculum is one of the major factors which influence transmission of any infectious disease (along with the susceptibly of the host and the virulence of the germ).

I hope this helps clarify my advice. DW

Previous
Newly Diagnosed
Next
AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.