Newly Diagnosed

I was just recently diagnosed with hiv/aids. I was put on medication right away because my tcell count was so low (26) my viral load was 750,000 the medicines I was put on was epivir, viread, and sustiva only been on these for like three weeks and new to all of this, I have broke out with like pimples on my back and my face is that just a normal thing ?? Any advice is helpfull my second labs ever are coming up and I just want to know all I can. Thanks

Thank you for your question.

The combination of Viread, Epivir and Sustiva should be a very well tolerated and potent drug regimen-- certainly one of the options that I would have considered for you with a CD4 count as low as yours and a very high viral load. Recent presentations about the side effect profile of Viread-based regimens have been reported at international meetings (see TheBody's conference coverage of the Gilead Sciences GS-903 and GS-902 studies) and have not seemed to notice any issues with skin eruptions during these 2-year clinical trials.

Now, real world use of medications can often turn up new findings or side effects that were not observed in the first clinical trials. It could be that your pimples is related to medication; we've seen a few cases of skin eruptions on this combo. However, it's important to recognize that many things are going on with your body at this time-- some of it because of direct side effects of medications, other because (I'd hope) that your immune system is beginning to recover from years of illness. The later situation often results in minor infections (like pimples) becoming slightly increasingly irritated or inflammed as the immune system recovers and has the ability to fight infection.

Either way, it would be worth bringing the situation to your doctor's attention. A good evaluation might be able to sort out exactly what is going on.

Good luck and keep up the adherence. -BY

Is my treatment working?
RE: I nned your advise may 5