Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Expectations

Hi, I wanted to ask a question, in regards to a previous question on progression of AIDS. When I was diagnosed 12/02 I had a VL of 650,000 and TCell of 55, since then as of 4/15 VL is undetectable and TCell of 160. So I think I am respondint to treatment well. The other person said there Doc said 10 years to live??? I find that hard to believe with treatment. I think I have been poz for about 5 years, sound right? So then I would only have 5 years to live? Thanks for any input, and please be upfront not shy. Thanks

Thanks for your question.

The 10 year figure comes from estimates of the rate of progression from initial infection to AIDS in the ABSENCE of treatment.

The fact that you already had a AIDS-level CD4 count would indicate, on average, that you've been infected for about 8-10 years. You're undetectable viral load and rapidly rising CD4 count indicate to me that your prognosis for long-term health is very good.

Keep with the adherence and you'll likely do well for a very long time. Good luck. BY

Easing into treatment?
Life Expectancy