Rash reaction to Med

I was tested HIV positive about 7 months ago. My third t-cell count was 156 and viral load was 113530. The number has been dropping over the past 3 tests. I just started taking med a week ago. My doctor prescribed Viracept (5 tables twice a day), Combivir (1 table twice a day) and SMZ/TMP DS (1 table a day). I am having diarrhea in the past week which my doctor has mentioned that it is normal and will usually stop after sometime. However, this morning, I woke up with rash all over my face, shoulder, hands and body. Call my doctor and he mentioned that I should stop all med for a couple of days. I am worried please advice. Thanks

It would seem to me that you're having a possible allergic reaction to the sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim).

Sulfa allergies are fairly common and require discontinuation of the medication, if confirmed. There are a number of alternative medications that can be used to prevent Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP) and should be used in place of the sulfa. The best thing to do in the long-term for PCP prevention, is to attempt desensitization to the sulfa allergy. The reason for this is that Bactrim (Septra) remains, by far, the preferred drug to prevent PCP. -BY

Sutherlandia
Confused Part II