Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sutherlandia
May 7, 2003

I saw that you were posed a question regarding Sutherlandia. The South African Medical Research Counsel had intended to do a clinical study on Sutherlandia because various reports had shown that the plant had a similar affect as HIV meds without the side effects. I contacted the MRC to ask when the study would be complete and they wrote back that the protocols had not been written and that the study had not been done. Since the plant is already in wide use, the drugs companies are not able to patent it. Biogenesis is selling the tablets very inexpensively. A clinical trial of this plant could prove to be most beneficial to many people who cannot afford drugs, but very unbeneficial for drug companies who sell the drugs. It seems strange that the study was never done, considering how many people could potentially benefit. How might one get a study underway?

Rick

Response from Dr. Young

I'm not personally aware of this data, but would welcome comments from any of our readers. BY

Previous
Chance of being nonprogressor
Next
Rash reaction to Med

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.