realtionship to high vl and resistance?
May 7, 2003
One year of exposure I have a vl of 344K and tcells around 500. I have not had phenotype or genotype test yet. I am not on meds yet. Does my high vl so early on in the infection (I was neg march 2002) suggest or indicate that I may have a drug resistant strain of HIV?
Response from Dr. Young
To my knowledge, your baseline CD4 count does not predict the presence or absence of resistant virus.
Given the rising incidence (rate) of initial infection with drug resistant virus (as high as 25% in some cities), I think that doing baseline resistance testing is a very wise idea.
Good luck. BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Pain In Balls After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- White Discharge After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Tingling Sensation Penis Sexually Transmitted Disease
- Dried, Cracked Hands And Hiv Exposure
- Hiv Transmission In Lesbians Grinding/frottage Or Oral Sex
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.