Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What Questions To Ask My Doc
May 6, 2003

Tested positive for HIV March 17, 2003. April 30, 2003 my first blood result indicate T-Cell at 58 and Viral Load at 198,287. I see my doctor on May 2, 2003 as this is all new to me and it appears I have been infected for awhile what questions should I be asking?

Thanks for your help! Steve W

Response from Dr. Young

This is a lengthy answer that I'll try to summarize--

First, as about your doctor's experience in treating HIV. Experience matters- better outcomes, fewer complications, better survival.

Next, as about drug resistance testing. While not part of the current treatment guidelines, in many centers, resistance testing prior to starting therapy has become standard of care (it is in our practice) and may very well influence the kind of medications that you might be able to use.

Ask about what kind of therapies might be most appropriate for you. Which type of medications? How does she or he plan on monitoring you? How to best adhere to the medications and prevent possible side effects of medications.

Ask about how to prevent other infectious complications.

In short, it would seem that you have a rather serious condition with very low CD4 cell counts and high viral load. Getting treatment "right", so to speak will be very important. Learn as much as possible about your options, but I'd be looking at starting treatment in the very near future.

Good luck. BY

Previous
Alternative treatments
Next
On Meds for 1 year

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.