Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

malariotherapy
May 1, 2003

so i guess you are just going to ignore my questions about malariotherapy then.

See www.heimlichinstitute.org

Response from Dr. Wohl

Okay, you shamed me into answering.

This is one of those important but difficult questions we get about alternative therapies. Dr. Heimlich (yes, that Heimlich) has been a proponent of malaria as a treatment for HIV.

I have not read through his site completely but to date there are no comparative studies that have shown this fight fire with fire approach to be safe or effective.

On the face of it, using malaria to treat HIV seems odd, if not ironic since most of the people with HIV on planet Earth live in malarious places. Despite repeated bouts of malaria, HIV infected people in these places seem to do poorly overall. This may be due to other factors and perhaps the future will shed more light on the use of malaria for HIV infection. In the meanwhile, I would not throw away the DEET or bed nets. DW

Previous
I don't know what to do next...
Next
Opinion - Which combo to start with?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.