Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ADVICE
Apr 21, 2003

HI I WAS DX WITH HIV IN FEBURARY 2003.I JUST RECEIVED MY FIRST LAB RESULTS MY CD4 IS 336 AND MY VIRAL LOAD IS 39.680 MY DOCTOR WANTS TO START ME ON VIRAMUNE AND COMBIVIR I WENT FOR A GENOTYPE TEST BUT DO YOU THINK THAT VIRAMUNE AND COMBIVIR WOULD BE OK AND SHOULD I EVEN START TREATMENT NOW IM A 23 YEAR OLD FEMALE AND YOUR RESPONSE WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED THANK YOU.

Response from Dr. Young

We've been using this combination for many patients for some time-- Combivir/nevirapine should prove to be a very simple, well tolerated drug regimen-- Recently presented results of the so-called "2NN" study compared this to Combivir/efavirenz (Sustiva) and showed very similar results, adding further support for the nevirapine first-line regimen. We tend to avoid the use among persons with preexisting liver disease-- like all medication regimens, clinical and laboratory monitoring is an important element of safety monitoring, and would advise this for you too.

Having a genotype in hand prior to starting is optional, and even knowing the results does not mitigate against the need to follow your viral load response to therapy closely (though I try to get one in the vast majority of patients prior to starting treatment).

Good luck. BY

Previous
HIV/ STD infection
Next
The right precription?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.