delaying drug therapy

hi dr young I am recently tested positive with hiv and had my blood tests done. My viral load was about 20000 and my t cell was 550 my doctor said that I could wait and monitor these counts or start drug therapy later down the line, does delaying therapy have negative consequences assuming my viral and tcell counts remain stable, thanks kevin

Thanks Kevin, for your question.

I'd probably agree with your doctor-- most asymptomatic persons with CD4s in the 500's and viral loads less than 50,000 won't need to start therapy in the immediate future.

Delay in starting will result in decline, but reversible decline in the CD4 cell count.

The key issue is to continue to get periodic clinical and blood monitoring in order to assess where you're at. -BY

Should i have my blood test?
numbers, numbers