Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Baseline????? But what if not?
Apr 2, 2003

Hiya Doc,

Tested poz last may and right after a rather a nasty seroconversion my conts were tcells 420 vl 25,000. In the past year tcells went as high as 560 vl as low as 3,000 and the NP I was seeing recommended no meds. Im seeing a new doctor now and my latest counts are tcells 431 vl 33,000. Is this still good to wait for meds or should I give it a go? How do I know what my baseline is? What is a baseline? Is it true I cant start meds for sometime, get undetectable and then get off for some more time? Am I able to get any OI's at my counts? Please let me know...Im a little down in the dumps bout this whole dip thing I have done.

Thanks, some really young naive cuban boy

Response from Dr. Wohl

Hola, your counts actually look pretty stable to me. As with most things having to do with biology there is a cycle and flow. Some days your T-cell count is 450 other days 520. There is normal variation in our temperatures, heart rate, blood pressure and even T-cell counts.

When we talk about 'baseline' we usually mean before starting HIV therapy. I agree with your NP, I would be in no hurry to start what may be life long meds right now given your numbers. You are not at risk for major opportunistic infections.

If monitoring your counts demonstrates a drop in T-cells to around 200-300, I would then consider therapy.

Good luck- DW

Previous
my report
Next
Common Cold Concern

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.