Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I safe now even though I have 'new' symptoms
Mar 19, 2003

Hi Doc, please can you offer me some advice, I have written to alternate forums on this site without response.

I took my final HIV test which included both P24 and Antibody tesing on the 5th of March which was exactly 6 months to the day following my exposure, the tests were negative.

I must admit I was surprised as throughout the whole time I have suffered with a number of symptoms, the worst of which has been a painful gland type pain in my neck, thrush and a very high heart rate since about month 2. I seemed to go through a period of night sweats that subsided but have now returned, and now find I also have a very very dry mouth.

Since I took the 6 month test, I have noticed on both my arms swollen glands on the inside of my elbows, to be clear these are in the same sort of area that you would take blood from. I am quite concerned about these, my GP has said that one looked like a blocked gland but seemed uninterested.

Can I consider my 6 month test as definitive, my inclination is to take further tests as I am still concerned that my symptoms are HIV related, although I have not come across anyone suggesting that their heart rate increased to circa 100 for most of the time, have you?

Call me paranoid, but one real fear I have is that if I have HIV and as yet have no antibodies after 6 months, is my body reacting in a way that no one is familiar with as it seems that most people get antibodies with a couple of weeks, and therefore some 'fight' against the decease.

Please respond and thanks.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Hi

By definition you are HIV negative. Six months is ample time to develop antibodies, which you most certainly would if you were exposed to the virus at least 6 months ago.

I'd look for an alternative cause of your swollen glands.

DW

Previous
vaccine for chickenpox given to 10kids of Hiv.
Next
when to start and which drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.