Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

vaccine for chickenpox given to 10kids of Hiv.
Mar 19, 2003

Dear Dr David I am the same person who's daughter and grand son 10 month kid both r HIV Pos. I want an advice from You,and my Dr from India has also aske me to post this que to You.Can this child with Vl 100,000 copies and CD count 4,000 gan be given a vaccine for chicken pox? Thanks Dr.Regards.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Thanks for your question. According the National Guideline Clearing House website:

"Children infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) may be at increased risk of morbidity from varicella and herpes zoster. Limited data on immunization of HIV-infected children in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention class I (CD4+ T-lymphocyte percentage of 25% or more) indicate that the vaccine is safe, immunogenic, and effective. Therefore, weighing potential risks and benefits, varicella vaccine should be considered for HIV-infected children in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention class I with mild or no signs or symptoms. With the increased use of varicella vaccine and the resulting decrease in incidence of varicella in the community, exposure of immunocompromised hosts to varicella-zoster virus will decrease. As the risk of exposure decreases and more data are generated on the use of varicella vaccine in high-risk populations, the risk versus benefit of varicella immunization in HIV-infected children will need to be reassessed."

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also indicates that the vaccine can be safely given to HIV-infected kids with no symptoms or only mild symptoms of HIV can receive the vaccince.

Check out:

http://www.guideline.gov/VIEWS/summary.asp?guideline=1992&summary_type=brief_summary&view=brief_summary&sSearch_string=

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/pink/Appendices/A/ContPrec.pdf

DW

Previous
my thank you note
Next
Am I safe now even though I have 'new' symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.