Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Claims of the so called
Mar 19, 2003

Hello Dr Young

I'm just writing to ask you what you think about the claims of Nigerian doctor Jeremiah Abalaka, who says he has not only created a cure for HIV, but also a vaccine that prevents you from contracting HIV. According to sources, he has already injected himself with HIV+ blood six times, and the vaccine has protected him.

I also want to know what you think of the claims of the Singaporean pharmaceutical firm that specializes in traditional Chinese medicine. They claim to have created a pill that cures HIV. They tested it on AIDS patients 5 years ago in Cambodia and the patients gained healthier appetites and became stronger. Apparently the pill was originally used to treat skin disorders like psoriasis, but has yeilded positive results in HIV+ people.

Curious about cure

Response from Dr. Young

I'd be very cautious about drawing conclusions from these studies, since, to my knowledge, they have neither been formally presented at any one of the frequent scientific meetings nor replicated by independent investigators.

To date, despite billions of dollars invested in vaccines or antivirals, no "cure" has been demonstrated. This, certainly, is not to say that a "cure" is desperately needed or desired. -BY

Previous
RE: peripheral neuropathy, start treatment?
Next
stomach problems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.