Price of meds

Hi, I was'nt sure which forum to ask this question but I'll ask anyway. Where do you guys see the price of current antiretrovirals in the future going?. 10, 20, 30 years down the road after the patents have expired, they should be cheaper, if so, any idea of how much? In 30 years will the price of Sustiva, if still needed, be dirt cheap??

Thanks for your question.

Undoubtedly, the cost of some medications will go down in the years to come. This is due in part, to the availabilty of generic medications as the patent expires on current medications. How much less is difficult to say, but they'll probably be in the range of several hundred dollars per year, if current estimates of generics in Africa or India hold.

Newer medications will continue to be expensive, since they'll still be under patent and the developers will have a vested interest in obtaining a return on the roughly $500 million USD cost of bringing a new drug to market.

Overall, this is a complex issue that must balance the need to bring medications to a very needy population of persons with HIV with the need to continue to provide incentive to the corporations that must foot the very expensive cost of drug discovery. -BY

Drug Resistance
Will starting treatment lower the risk of infecting my partner