Depressed

Has everyone given up on eradication? I mean it seems since Dr Silicano made the statement about latent reservors in memory cells lasting about 60-70yrs or more that no one cares about finding a cure? Whats going on? Have we given up the ship to the virus? What if anything is being done? I think I can speek for most if no everyone who vists this site and say that what people with this virus want is plain and simple...to live a normal life and die 40-50yrs from now in thier 80's of old age like other people. No one will give me a straight answer to this question. Is this realistic today even under good conditions? On another point I was told that about half of the current number of AIDS deaths reported by the CDC are from non-AIDS related causes...ie kidney failure due to HCV, heart probles, non-AIDS related cancers...ect. That would mean that of the 14,000 deaths that are talked about from last year that only 7,000 are really occuring directly from AIDS is that true? Have we come that far yet?

I do not think everyone has given up on eradication of HIV from the body but I think we realize that HIV the current batch of medications are not going to do it.

Many are looking at ways of targeting the latently infected cells that are not accessible to antiretrovirals. This includes strategies designed to kill these cells and those devised to force them to become activated and thus vulnerable to HIV meds.

Certainly, development of vaccines for prevention as well as augmentation of HIV therapy also holds promise as do immunotherapies. At a recent conference we heard about exciting work in a lab in which small bits of synthesized RNA were used to interfere with the ability of HIV to replicate in cells. Such gene directed therapy may be a future approach to HIV treatment.

Bottom line is that just because there is not much noise about a cure does not mean that there are not really smart people all over working hard to find one.

Lastly, yes, more and more people are dying not from their HIV but from their hep C, heart attacks, cancers etc. People are living long enough to get diseases they would have had they not been HIV infected. Strangely, this is progress. DW

methotrexate and HIV medications
Smoking