Please help my confusion

Dearest Doc,

I am a 26yr old male, who was diagnosed HIV+ two months ago. My viral load is 89,000 and my CD4 is 476. Just two yrs ago I tested to a negative result. How is it possible in such a short span that my viral load is so high? Does it mean that I contracted an abnormally strong strand of the virus, or that I received a false negative?

My doctor advised me to start treatment with Combivir and 200mg Sustiva. Can I wait, should I wait? I question his perscription as the right one for me.

Long term side effects, espically lipodystrophy. I am petrified.

Your advise will help me tremendously. Thank you.

JJ in Pittsburgh

Thanks for your question.

It's probably putting too much emphasis on a single lab test, but a viral load of 89,000 is actually pretty close to the average viral load among persons enrolling in clinical studies in the US.

It's not really clear what governs the viral load setpoint, but it's clear that there are both viral- and host-related factors.

Overall, it's difficult to use the viral load as a metric of when you've been infected, since there's so much variation in levels, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you've contracted an abnormally "strong" strain of HIV.

Either way, I always advise persons with HIV to get periodic clinical and laboratory monitoring of your health. The goal of all of this is to initiate appropriate care before anything negative happens. Good luck. -BY

Newly Diagnosed - other health problems
methotrexate and HIV medications